Saturday, November 7, 2015

Writers4Higher spotlights Margaret Murphree of Bookish Gifts


It’s that time again. Holiday season. Time to think about giving to your friends and family. Besides books from your favorite authors, how about gifting fun literary stuff?

Have I got the place for you….

Margaret Murphree joins the Writers4Higher family, providing unique gifts for the literary folks on your list. If you are like me, you will add to your own wishlist.



Hi Margaret. Tell us about  yourself and Bookish Gifts.

I have been a “research hound” for as long as I can remember. There is nothing more energizing for me than “the hunt” for information. I got my library degree and found my dream job working on the Reference Desk of the State Library of Florida in Tallahassee in the early 1990s. Want to know statistics on endangered wildlife in Florida? Found it!  Want articles on the history of cheese? Got it!  Want to know the names of Santa’s Reindeer? Got that too! (Yes, Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn is one of my favorite movies!)

Along my librarian journey, I developed a love of notebooks – all shapes and sizes and styles. Pens too! A couple of years ago, I experimented with making notebooks myself and opened a small shop on Etsy, an online retail source for handmade craft items.  

When my boss suggested I sell my notebooks at an upcoming state library conference, I jumped at the chance!  As I prepared for that event, my love of the hunt kicked in and I found more and more items that I knew librarians – and writers- would love!  Notebooks? Sure! But also bookish jewelry, candles, scarves & ties, greeting cards and oodles of fun, bookish & writerly stuff!

Since that first toe in the water, I have had a sales booth at writers’ conferences, book festivals and, of course, library conferences.  By the time you read this article, I will have retired and be headed to the Miami Book Fair having the time of my life!


Find me here:

Thanks Margaret. You are truly one of “our people.”


Rhett DeVane
Author and blogmaster

www.rhettdevane.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...