Saturday, October 20, 2012

Writers4Higher features Tim Dorsey


Welcome to Writers4Higher

 

 

The purpose of the Writers4Higher blog: to feature authors in a new light, a fresh look at the way writers use their talents and life energies to uplift humankind. Writers4Higher doesn’t promote religious or political views. Authors are asked to answer three simple questions: simple, yet complex.

 

 

This issue, Writers4Higher features
 
Tim Dorsey

 

 

Hi, Tim. Welcome to the Writers4Higher family!
 
 
Note to readers: Tim's answers come from a blog post
he modified for Writers4Higher. 
 
He's hard at work on the next book. A special thank you to Tim!

 
Tell me about yourself. Your book(s), your life, your inspiration.

I write a series of surreal Florida crime novels in the footsteps of my heroes, Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry and Kurt Vonnegut, and my readers couldn’t be more rabid. My main character is a lovable serial killer who cherishes history, the environment, and community fabric. In other words, he kills predators, scam artists and exploiters of the elderly. And since he lives in Florida, he’s busy.


This creates an "embarrassment of riches" conundrum. They started calling my readers a "cult" following, which connotes a strong loyalty. They want absolutely everything autographed. But I’m on the New York Times list, which pisses off cults. What to do?


Enter e-books.

So now I’ve got all stripes of loyalty trying to keep up their collections, and this tour more than any other represents the dilemma of my "signing" paradigm.



Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?
 

One of the most frequent questions I’m asked is, "What’s the book tour like?"

Well, I’ll tell you.

I’m out on the road right now, somewhere in fabulous Fort Myers, Florida. And as we all know, the economics of the book industry are changing by the hour. It’s time to evolve and adapt. Or become extinct. But what few people know besides authors is how this affects book tours. Let me tell you from where the rubber meets the road, it is not insignificant. It starts with big breasts. Allow that to sink in.

Actually, breasts come later, but I’m a professional writer and know how to hook various readers with the same bait. For women readers, there’s the outrage over gratuitous exploitation of the female anatomy. For male readers, there are big breasts. Stick with me.

The most massive sea change is the e-book phenomenon, which couldn’t be embodied more morally, heroically, and in All Things American than the Kindle, iPad and Nook. Here’s the rub (breasts still coming):

So they showed up dazed, with their Kindles, wondering which way are the directions on the compass.

Then came the woman with the triple-Ds. "Would you sign one of my breasts?"

I’m thinking, Who do you think I am, Steven Tyler from Aerosmith?

I wisely declined, and she asked, "Are you too embarrassed?"

"No," I replied. "I’m too married."

So liked all big-breasted organisms asking non-thought-through questions, it was time to evolve and adapt. She avoided extinction by asking me to sign something else instead.

Then she walked away with my name in an indelible marker on her forehead.

And that’s pretty much the book tour.


 
How do you use your talents/time to help others?

I will answer this one, Tim.

You make us laugh. You remind us to see the absurd side of life--especially life in the Sunshine State. We thank you for that pure, undiluted escapism.


 
Would you like to find Tim Dorsey?

 
Check out the links to this talented author:


Tim Dorsey's website

Tim's website contains complete ordering information for his books, tour dates, links, and a cool store filled with everything a Tim Dorsey fan might desire.


Tim Dorsey on Facebook


Tim Dorsey's author page on HarperCollins





 
 
 
 

 
Publication order (with publication dates) Florida Roadkill (1999), Hammerhead Ranch Motel (2000), Orange Crush (2001), Triggerfish Twist (2002), The Stingray Shuffle (2003), Cadillac Beach (2004), Torpedo Juice (2005), The Big Bamboo (2006), Hurricane Punch (2007), Atomic Lobster (2008), Nuclear Jellyfish (2009), Gator A-Go-Go (2010), Electric Barracuda(2011), When Elves Attack (2011), Pineapple Grenade (2012)

Chronological order (linear story order) Triggerfish Twist, Florida Roadkill, Hammerhead Ranch Motel, The Stingray Shuffle, Orange Crush, Cadillac Beach, Torpedo Juice, The Big Bamboo, Hurricane Punch, Atomic Lobster, Nuclear Jellyfish, Gator A-Go-Go, Electric Barracuda, When Elves Attack, Pineapple Grenade



Be sure to visit the Writers4Higher Market! We have gear for the writer in you.


 

Rhett DeVane

Fiction with a Southern Twist




 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...