Saturday, August 4, 2012

Writers4Higher features Chuck Sambuchino




Welcome to Writers4Higher





The purpose of the Writers4Higher blog: to feature authors in a new light, a fresh look at the way writers use their talents and life energies to uplift humankind. Writers4Higher doesn’t promote religious or political views. Authors are asked to answer three simple questions: simple, yet complex.





This issue, Writers4Higher features

Chuck Sambuchino


Hi, Chuck. Welcome to the Writers4Higher family!





1. Tell me about yourself. Your book(s), your life, your inspiration.

 


My name is Chuck Sambuchino and I am author and editor. During the day, I edit for Writer's Digest Books, working on annual guides such as the GUIDE TO LITERARY AGENTS. During the night, I do my own writing -- humor books, plays, screenplays, articles, etc. Right now I'm working on promoting my newest humor book called RED DOG / BLUE DOG: WHEN POOCHES GET POLITICAL (Aug. 1, 2012, Running Press), a large collection of photos of dogs doing stereotypical liberal and conservative things. I love writing and storytelling.

Personally, I'm a husband and dog owner. I love sports, working out, trivia, playing piano, playing guitar, watching movies, and travel. I also have horrible eating habits. I am addicted to fresh chocolate chip cookies and didn't eat my first salad until I was 30.

I'm not sure I really have "inspiration," so to speak. I find that a lot of my success just comes from drive. I can only feel satisfied after a long day if I have been productive and got stuff accomplished. Because I'm built like that, I tend to write and work on my platform a lot.



2. Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?

When I got my first humor book published (HOW TO SURVIVE A GARDEN GNOME ATTACK in 2010), I hoped it wasn't a fluke and I could do it again. This summer, that dream is coming true with RED DOG. So hopefully I will continue to write humor books as well as be an editor for Writer's Digest Books.

But a big next step that's kind of a dream of mine is screenwriting. My love of stories stems from watching too many movies as a kid. My oldest and strongest dream is to write a movie or two that becomes a motion picture. I'm working on that goal now -- getting my screenplays into the right hands to give this goal a whirl. We shall see.

Truth is: As long as I'm getting paid to edit and write, rather than, say, working at Subway, then I try to remember I am blessed.




3. How do you use your talents/time to help others?


I travel frequently to present at writers' conferences and love meeting new writers in different places. In the next few weeks, I'll meet new writers in Indiana as well as the Greek isles. So that is exciting.

Besides the conferences, I try to answer almost any question that comes in over e-mail. I feel like that's how you simply make connections and build new friendships -- do favors for others asking nothing in return. I'm always a big sucker for when a young kid or student writes me and says they don't know what to do next. I almost always take the time to write those young people back.

Other than writing, I play piano at a retirement home for older folks. They seem to like it. Well, most do. I have gotten heckled once.



Chuck Sambuchino works for Writer's Digest Books and edits two annual resource guides -- the GUIDE TO LITERARY AGENTS as well as the CHILDREN'S WRITER'S & ILLUSTRATOR'S MARKET. His Guide to Literary Agents Blog (guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog) -- all about agents, submissions and platform -- is one of the biggest blogs in publishing. He was recently included in a FORBES Top 10 list of "Social Media Influencers: Book Publishing."
His first humor book, HOW TO SURVIVE A GARDEN GNOME ATTACK (gnomeattack.com), was released in Sept. 2010 and has been featured by Reader's Digest, USA Today, the New York Times and AOL News. The film rights were recently optioned by Sony and director Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future). His second humor book, RED DOG / BLUE DOG: WHEN POOCHES GET POLITICAL (July 2012, reddog-bluedog.com), is a collection of funny dog photos merged with political humor.
In addition, Chuck has also written two other writing-related titles: the third edition of FORMATTING & SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT (2009), and CREATE A WRITER PLATFORM (fall 2012).
Besides that, he is a freelance editor, husband, cover band guitarist, piano lover, chocolate chip cookie fiend, and owner of a flabby-yet-lovable dog named Graham.






Would you like to find Chuck?


Check out the links to this talented author:


 GLA book: Guide to Literary Agents

CWIM book: Children's Writer's/ Illustrator's Market


GNOME book: How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack


DOG book: Red Dog/ Blue Dog: When Pooches Get Political


FORMATTING book: Formatting and Submitting Your Manuscript


PLATFORM book: Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience,Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author



 





Thank you so much, Chuck. On a personal note: I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck at the Harriette Austin Writers Conference at the University of Georgia. This man has vast stores of knowledge about the writing world.

We appreciate you, Chuck.

Be sure to visit the Writers4Higher Market! We have gear for the writer in you.

Rhett DeVane
Fiction with a Southern Twist




No comments:

Post a Comment

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...