Saturday, August 25, 2012

Writers4Higher features Mary Kane


Welcome to Writers4Higher


The purpose of the Writers4Higher blog: to feature authors in a new light, a fresh look at the way writers use their talents and life energies to uplift humankind. Writers4Higher doesn’t promote religious or political views. Authors are asked to answer three simple questions: simple, yet complex.

This issue, Writers4Higher features


Mary Kane


Hi Mary Kane. Welcome to the Writers4Higher family!

1.         Tell me about yourself, your book.
After twenty-seven years as a criminal and civil trial lawyer in state and federal courts, I know what it is to try to convince an unsympathetic jury, appeal to an impatient judge, and seek justice for the “little guy.” I was the first woman in the country to become a Life Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. The Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Washington D.C., named me co-recipient of the Trial Lawyer of the Year Award in 1993 for my role in an environmental class action. During the Oklahoma City bombing trial of Timothy McVeigh, I provided commentary for MSNBC, National Public Radio, and Tribune Broadcasting. I retired in 2010 and decided it was high time to write creatively rather than argumentatively and Southern Justice is the result.

Southern Justice’s Kat James enjoys a successful criminal defense practice in a small city in the South. Her Yankee upbringing is undeniable as she shares a frank, and sometimes humorous, perspective on lawyering. After she accepts a judge’s request to represent a young black boy charged as an adult with the robbery and murder of a local state trooper’s wife in an outlying, rural jurisdiction, the trial unfolds with gripping suspense and gritty realism. Through Southern Justice, the reader experiences courtrooms and law offices with riveting authenticity, and face truth as never before.

 
2.         Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?

I will continue to draw on my experience as a trial lawyer, keeping it realistic. This is what I know.  

3.         How do you use your talents/time to help others?


Until very recently, I was on the board for a center for independent living, Ability 1st. I devoted many hours to this fine non-profit designed to assist our disabled citizens gain independence.

Before I retired, I volunteered my time to the Florida Public Defenders, teaching young lawyers how to improve their trial skills. I spent many years lecturing on the subject. I always learned a lot by teaching -- it was like eating a big slice of humble pie.





Would you like to find Mary Kane?
Stop by and check out this talented writer and editor.

Here are links:






Thank you, Mary Kane! We will look forward to seeing the legal system at work, from one who knows the intricate details.



Be sure to visit the Writers4Higher market. Find great gear for the writer in you.
Rhett DeVane
Fiction with a Southern Twist














No comments:

Post a Comment

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...