Sunday, August 12, 2012

Writers4Higher features Barbara A. Kiger


Welcome to Writers4Higher


The purpose of the Writers4Higher blog: to feature authors in a new light, a fresh look at the way writers use their talents and life energies to uplift humankind. Writers4Higher doesn’t promote religious or political views. Authors are asked to answer three simple questions: simple, yet complex.

This issue, Writers4Higher features
Barbara A. Kiger


Hi Barbara. Welcome to the Writers4Higher family!




1. Tell me about yourself. Your book(s), your life, your inspiration.



I am a writer who lost her sight 25 years ago. Unable to continue my current career, nursing, I focused my attention on a second career choice, writing. In pursuit of this goal, I enrolled in a couple of writing classes, attended as many writing workshops as time and money would allow and joined a pair of local writing groups. As a reward for this diligence, several periodicals accepted my submissions. I was a published writer. Not content to stop there, I set my sights on a loftier goal, becoming a published mystery writer. After a ten-year struggle of writing followed by rejections, followed by rewriting and even more rejections, my goal became a reality with the publication of my first mystery novel, Payback.



2. Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?

Like Payback’s gutsy protagonist, Regina “Ginny” Arthur, who channels her curiosity, concern for fellow-man, and a strong sense of what’s right and what’s wrong into solving problems, I plan to continue sharing Ginny’s high-jinks. I have done just this in a second novel, Cold Storage, which is due out later this summer or early fall. In Payback, Ginny deals with drug pushers, murderers and the mysterious disappearance of a much-loved uncle. In Cold Storage, a mounting body count sends Ginny down a snowy trail peopled with human traffickers and domestic terrorists.



3. How do you use your talents/time to help others?

Although a third “Ginny” story is roaming the far reaches of my mind, I am currently involved in putting the story of our family on paper. No, I am not doing the genealogical research, most of which has already been done by others in the family. My challenge is to breathe life into the lists of names and dates.

Nor have I abandoned my article writing. I am a contributing writer for our Diocesan Council of Catholic Women web site and newsletter, and am editor of our parish Women’s Guild newsletter.

Besides the writing, these same skills have been used to enhance the many talks I have given on spiritual growth and leadership. I have also given numerous talks in support of our local Lighthouse of the Big Bend, telling of their many programs for the blind and visually impaired and of how this agency brought “light” into my “dark” world.

Would you like to find Barbara?
Visit these links to read about this talented author:









Thank you, Barbara. You are an inspiration, hon.

Be sure to visit the Writers4Higher market. Find cool clothing and gear for the writer in you!



Rhett DeVane
Fiction with a Southern Twist




2 comments:

  1. Rhett, thank you for featuring Barb!! It has been quite a fascinating process working with her in an editing capacity - she researches everything so thoroughly. I know more about snowmobiles, for instance, than I ever did before after helping with Cold Storage!

    ReplyDelete

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...