Saturday, October 27, 2012

Writers4Higher features Shelagh Watkins


Welcome to Writers4Higher

 

 

The purpose of the Writers4Higher blog: to feature authors in a new light, a fresh look at the way writers use their talents and life energies to uplift humankind. Writers4Higher doesn’t promote religious or political views. Authors are asked to answer three simple questions: simple, yet complex.

 

 

This issue, Writers4Higher features
 
Shelagh Watkins


 

 

Hi, Shelagh. Welcome to the Writers4Higher family!


1. Tell me about yourself. Your book(s), your life, your inspiration.
 
Hi Rhett, Thank you for inviting me to Writers4Higher and giving me the opportunity to talk about my involvement in writing. I began writing fiction in 1998 when I wrote my first novel, The Power of Persuasion. After the receipt of a stack of rejection slips from publishers, I soon realized that finding a publisher was not an easy task. Some of the rejection slips contained hand-written notes suggesting that I should find a literary agent, since most publishers do not accept unsolicited work. Finding an agent proved to be just as difficult a task as finding a publisher. So, I gave up. I didn’t write for four years, until my brother died at the age of forty-three in 2002. He left two young children, then aged eight and five years old. I began writing again and produced my first children’s novel, Mr. Planemaker’s Flying Machine. From that point on, my writing career continued to the present day.
 
2. Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?
 
I have just completed what others consider to be my best piece of work to date: a short story, A Family Arrangement. The setting for the story is nineteen-twenties, rural Lancashire. The theme is the struggles that single mothers faced in the twenties without the support of a husband. This might form the basis of a family saga. It depends upon how well the story is received and whether readers would be interested in reading more. The story is available on Amazon here: A Family Arrangement.
 
3. How do you use your talents/time to help others?
 
In 2007, I set up the Published Authors Network on Ning (social networking platform). The site was free and amassed over two thousand members. In 2008, I set up the Published Authors forum, www.publishedauthors.org for members of the Network. I also set up the Published Authors Network group on LinkedIn, which now has 9,290 members. Published Authors also has a group and a page on Facebook.
Apart from the groups and forum, I also run the Literature & Fiction blog for author interviews.
In 2008, I decided to rewrite my first unpublished novel, The Power of Persuasion, which I then self-published. The same year, I put together Forever Friends, an anthology of short stories and poems written by writers from around the world. To do this, I set up my own small press publishing company, Mandinam Press.
Although I do not accept submissions because of the small scale of the company, I have published two more anthologies in the Forever series, Forever Travels (2010) and, more recently, Forever Families (2012), and three books by individual authors: Living by the Swamp by Alice Crooker (2011), On the Way to Siberia by Hermann Frech (2012) and An Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement by James Watkins (2012).

Somehow, I know not how, when I am not networking, administrating, publishing or editing, I do find time to write.


 
Would you like to find Shelagh?

 

Check out the links to this talented author:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Thank you for joining us, Shelagh! On a personal note: I know Shelagh through my involvement in two of her delightful anthologies. Isn't it wonderful, how the Internet has enabled writers to connect from across the world? I love it! Best to you, Shelagh.

 

Be sure to visit the Writers4Higher Market! We have gear for the writer in you.


 

Rhett DeVane

Fiction with a Southern Twist




 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deep Thoughts, Bruises and All. First of all, Happy Holidays . No matter your outlook or what you celebrate, I wish you renewed ...